Valampuri Vinayakar Temple : Valampuri Vinayakar Temple Details | Valampuri Vinayakar- Mukundanur | Tamilnadu Temple | வலம்புரி விநாயகர்
Advanced Search >>



Home >> vinayagar > sri Valampuri Vinayakar temple
  • Details
  • Path
  • Map
  • Photos
  • Near By Temple
  தமிழில் படிக்க »
Sri Valampuri Vinayakar temple
Moolavar: Valampuri Vinayakar
  Urchavar: Valampuri Vinayakar
  Amman / Thayar:
  Thala Virutcham: Bodhi tree (Arasamaram in Tamil) and Vembu-neem
  Agamam / Pooja : Karana Agama
  Old year: 1000-2000 years old
  Historical Name:
  City: Mukundanur
  District: Tiruvarur
  State: Tamil Nadu
  As emperor Mushukunda worshipped the Lord here the place was known as Mushukundapuram which later changed as Mukundapuram  
 Temple's Speciality:
  The place has the distinction that Emperor Mushukunda of the Ikshvahu dynasty (Lord Sri Rama hails from this dynasty) worshipped Lord Vinayaka in this temple.  
Opening Time:
  The temple is open from 8.00 a.m. to 10.00 a.m. and from 6.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.  
  Sri Valampuri Vinayakar Temple, Mukundanur, Kudavasal Post-613 701, Tiruvarur Taluk.  
  +91 94884 15137, 94439 46137 
 General Information:

The history of the temple dates back to over 1000 years.  The consecration of the temple took place just recently in the year 2013 after the one celebrated in 1990. Opposite to the eastern entrance stand the Arasur and Vembu trees.   The Mahamandap has a seating capacity of 300 people.  There is also a Balipeeta and Nandhi.  On the left side of the entrance are Lords Brahamma and Balamuruga.  Presiding deity is in the design of Lord Shiva as in Pillayarpatti.  Lord Valampuri Vinayaka graces from His own separate shrine.


Devotees pray for longevity, for child boon and the removal of various evil effects – doshas set on them and members of the family.  They submit their prayers on Sankatahara Chaturthi days.

Thanks giving:
  Devotees offer special alankaras and abishek to Lord Vinayaka. 
 Greatness Of Temple:
  Presiding deity Lord Valampuri Vinayaka appears in a Linga form as in Pillayarpatti temple.  Temples of Lord Thiagraja in the east, Lord Kailasanathar with Mother Abhirami in west, Engan Muruga in north and Sastha with his consorts Poorana and Pushkala in the south add more reputation to the temple.
  Temple History:
  Emperor Mushukunda desired to bring down Lord Thiagaraja (Lord Shiva) from the celestial world to Bhooloka (earth) for worship.  As a first step, he worshipped Lord Vinayaka in this place.  When the emperor went back to Devaloka to bring Thiagaraja, Indira the king of Devas refused to part with Lord.  To confuse the emperor, Indira made 7 Thiagarajas of the same design.  To help Mushukunda, Lord Vinayaka went there in the form of a fly (vandu in Tamil) circled around the Thiagrajas and identified the original idol.  Lord Thiagaraja appears in the Linga form as in Pillayarpatti.  Thus, Lord Valampuri Vinayaka temple was built in Tiruvarur-Mushukundapuram.  During he construction of the temple, many idols – Shivalinga, Nandhi, Balamuruga and Brahamma were also found.  It is also found that one temple in the region belonging to the Chola period had disappeared as is evident from the idols discovered here  
Special Features:
  Miracle Based: The temple is 13 km west of Tiruvarur, considered to be capital of Saivite philosophy.
  Dinamalar Home Page   Temple Home Page
Copyright © 2024 All rights reserved.