Mullaivananathar Temple : Mullaivananathar Temple Details | Mullaivananathar- Thirumullaivasal | Tamilnadu Temple | முல்லைவன நாதர்
Advanced Search >>



Home >> 274 Sivalayam > sri Mullaivananathar temple
  • Details
  • Path
  • Map
  • Photos
  • Near By Temple
  தமிழில் படிக்க »
Sri Mullaivananathar temple
Moolavar: Mullaivana Nathar, Masila Maneesar, Yudhika Parameswarar
  Urchavar: -
  Amman / Thayar: Ani Konda Kothai Ammai, Sathyananda Soundari
  Thala Virutcham: Mullai – (Jasmine family)
  Theertham: Brahmma theertham, Chandra theertham
  Agamam / Pooja : Then Thirumullaivayul
  Old year: 1000-2000 years old
  Historical Name: -
  City: Thirumullaivasal
  District: Nagapattinam
  State: Tamil Nadu
  Saint Tirugnana Sambandar had praised the Lord of the temple in his Thevaram hymns.  This is the 7th Shiva temple on the northern bank Cauvery praised in Thevaram hymns.  
  Masi Magam Theerthavari festival in February-March is grandly celebrated in the temple.  
 Temple's Speciality:
  3.5 feet tall Lord Shiva in the temple is a swayambumurthi. The sword cut scar on the head of the Linga is still visible.  
Opening Time:
  The temple is open from 8.00 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and from 4.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.  
  Sri Mullaivananathar Temple, Thirumullaivasal, Nagapattinam Dist.  
  +91-94865 24626 
 General Information:
  The place is now declared as a tourist spot.  Sea shore is just half a kilometer from the temple
  People who chant the Panchakshara-five letter mantra, Na Ma Shi Va Ya in the temple on Solar and Lunar eclipse days and on new days (Amavasya) would not be subjected to next birth, is the belief of the devotees.
Thanks giving:
  Devotees perform abishek to Lord and Mother and offer vastras. 
 Greatness Of Temple:
  Palli Arai puja is performed at all Shiva temples both in the morning and night.  But the Tirumullaivayil temple has no such Palli Arai.  Lord Mullaivana Nathar is 3.5 feet tall big swayambumurthi.  He is also praised as Yuthika Parameswarar.  Mother Anikonda Kothai, also praised as Sathyanada Soundari worshipped Lord here to learn the Panchakshara Mantra.  Lord is a Guru here, hence there is no Palli Arai and pujas.
One Susavi, eledest son of Vamadeva placed his father’s bones after his demise in holy waters.  When he put the bones in the waters in this place, they became diamond stones.  He immediately performed all the last rites for the father in this place that granted total salvation to the father.  It is still believed that Holy Ganga springs here on the northwest direction of the temple.  The temple was built 1300 years ago by King Killivalavan.  Saint Gnana Sambandar had sung the praise of Lord in his Thevaram hymns.
  Temple History:
  King Killi Valavan, grandfather of Karikal Valavan was suffering from skin problems.  Palace doctors advised him that he should have a bath in a reputed Shiva Sthala.  He came to this place for a sea bath.  The place was dense with Mullai plants which bound the legs of the horses.  They could not move further.  The king removed the plants with his sword.  The sword hit a Shivalinga hidden under the bushes. It began to bleed.  The king was shocked and thought he had killed somebody and on cleaning the place, he found the Linga bleeding and attempted to kill himself for the mistake.  Lord with Mother Parvathi immediately appeared before him on His Nandhi vehicle and protected Killivalavan.  Thus the place came to be known as Tiru Mullai Vayil.  The scar on the Linga is still visible.
Special Features:
  Miracle Based: 3.5 feet tall Lord Shiva in the temple is a swayambumurthy. The scar on the Linga is still visible.
  Dinamalar Home Page   Temple Home Page
Copyright © 2024 All rights reserved.